Sentinel Event Alert 40
Prevent behaviors that undermine a culture of safety
Health care is a high-stakes, pressure-packed environment that can test the limits of civility in the workplace. This Sentinel Event Alert issued by The Joint Commission warns that rude language and hostile behavior among health care professionals goes beyond being unpleasant and poses a serious threat to patient safety and the overall quality of care.
Read the full version of Sentinel Event Alert 40»
Joint Commission Resources has the following tools to help educate your organization on this very important topic.
Defusing Disruptive Behavior: A Workbook for Health Care Leaders
While job satisfaction is an important issue for all workers, the risk that disruptive behavior may put on patients has been well documented by the Institute for Safe Medication Practices, which found that intimidation and undue pressure altered how staff do their jobs.
This spiral-bound workbook helps leaders train all staff in effective strategies for ending disruptive behaviors that adversely affect staff morale and possibly put patients at risk. This practical workbook:
- Provides a Code of Conduct (including samples)
- Profiles how disruptive behavior reaches the patient and impairs safety
- Advocates a strong policy statement and getting senior leader buy-in
- Explains the reporting process and follow-up
- Offers education and peer counseling, not punishment
- Provides a checklist of how to identify disruptive behavior
- Includes case studies of how health care providers manage disruptive behavior