MD, MS, CJCP
- Over 30 years of experience as developing quality and safety programs as a physician leader
- Physician Performance Improvement expert
Dr. Joel Yohai has had a career-long passion for patient safety and reducing medical errors, with expertise in process improvement, peer review, medical staff credentialing and medical staff leadership development. He holds a Six Sigma Black Belt Certificate and instituted a system wide Six Sigma Program at Catholic Health Services of Long Island resulting in several successful projects including patient medication education improvement, reduction in readmissions and reduction in avoidable operating room cancellations.
Dr. Yohai spent 31 years in progressive medical leadership positions for Catholic Health Services of Long Island in New York from 1982 to his retirement from the system in July 2013. His last position was System Executive Vice President for Medical Affairs and Chief Medical Officer, a post he held from 2003–2013. In this capacity he developed programs to improve the quality and safety of patient care across the system and successfully guided six hospitals, three long term care facilities, and a large home care service through multiple Joint Commission accreditation surveys since 1982. He also chaired the system wide Performance Improvement Committee from 1999–2013 and served on the Board of Directors from 2004–2013.
Dr. Yohai completed his clinical work in family practice for King County Hospital in Brooklyn, New York. This work included 22 years of service to an underserved population providing home care and ambulatory primary care.
Dr. Yohai has also served on the Board of Directors of the Island Peer Review Organization (New York PRO) since 1982, has been a representative on the Quality Council of the New York Partnership for Patients (Hospital Engagement Network), and has been a member of the Hospital Association of New York Quality Council.
- System Executive Vice President for Medical Affairs and Chief Medical Officer, Catholic Health Services of Long Island, NY, USA
Professional Affiliations or Certifications
- Board of Directors of the Island Peer Review Organization (New York PRO)
- Certified Joint Commission Professional (CJCP®)
- Hospital Association of New York Quality Council
- Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Certified
- Quality Council of the New York Partnership for Patients, Hospital Engagement Network, Representative
- Doctor of Medicine, New York University, New York, NY, USA
- Master of Science, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA
- Bachelor of the Arts, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA