Merlyn V. LaPaix
- Director, Psychiatric Nursing, Associate Director of Ambulatory Care Services, Chief Nurse Officer, Clinical Director of Clinical Services and Vice President of Acute and Ambulatory Care.
- Experienced in managing hospital, long term care and behavioral health care services.
Ms. Merlyn LaPaix has more than 20 years of management and executive leadership experience. Ms. LaPaix has been recognized for her extensive and effective work in patient safety and nursing leadership. She was responsible for financial program management of five inpatient units and the psychiatric observation unit, with revenues totaling approximately $260 million. Ms. LaPaix spearheaded a shift in culture away from the usage of restraints (75% reduction) and toward other less restrictive interventions. She has played an integral part in creation of a fully staffed, 24/7 Psychiatric Observation Unit that effectively reduced emergency department wait times and dramatically improved patients’ connection to ambulatory care.
Ms. LaPaix and two colleagues presented “Successful Integration of Behavioral Health Services in a Hospital Setting” to a global audience at the 2015 American College of Health Care Executives Congress on Healthcare Leadership in Chicago. Ms. LaPaix also participated in a webinar to hospitals affiliated with the American Hospital Association/Behavioral Health hospitals on the successful integration of behavioral health services.
- Director, Psychiatric Nursing, Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT, USA
- Associate Director, Psychiatric Nursing, Kings County Hospital, Brooklyn, NY, USA
- Associate Director, Ambulatory Care, Metropolitan Hospital, Manhattan, NY, USA
- Clinical Director, Clinical Services/Horizon Mental Health at Bergen Regional Medical Center, Paramus, NJ, USA
- Chief Nurse Officer and Vice President of Acute and Ambulatory Care, Bergen Regional Medical Center, Paramus, NJ, USA
- Vice President, Psychiatric Patient Care Services, Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, NY, USA
Professional Affiliations or Certifications
- American Nurses Association
- American Organization of Nurse Executives
- Associate Degree in Nursing, Norwalk Community College, Norwalk, CT, USA
- Bachelor of Science in Public and Community Health, Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven, CT, USA
- Master of Nursing, Sacred Heart University, Fairfield, CT, USA
- Master of Business Administration, Sacred Heart University, Fairfield, CT, USA