- Former State CMS surveyor and supervisor for the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Licensing and Certification Division
- Former Network Regulatory and Accreditation Consultant
Ms. Emily Mills has an extensive clinical and regulatory background. Ms. Mills has been a Registered Nurse for over 20 years with clinical experience in Pediatric and Neonatal Intensive Care, including direct care of child and adolescent patients in inpatient psychiatric units, with emergency medical conditions pending admission to psychiatric hospitals and undergoing inpatient detoxification for drug or alcohol addiction.
She has worked as a state and federal surveyor, a legal consultant and paralegal during this time reviewed client complaints of inappropriate denials for Federal and State programs and drafted report of findings, as well as a regulatory and accreditation consultant.
During her time with CDPH, Ms. Mills conducted surveys for hospitals, acute psychiatric hospitals, and long-term care facilities to determine compliance with state and federal regulations. She has lead survey teams during CMS accreditation validation surveys, complaint surveys, recertification surveys, and EMTALA surveys. As a supervisor at CDPH, Ms. Mills triaged and assigned surveys and complaints, reviewed survey reports, communicated noncompliance with COPs to the CMS regional office and recommended actions.
As a Regulatory and Accreditation Consultant for a network of hospitals and outpatient treatment centers, Ms. Mills conducted mock surveys, tracers, and consulted with hospital leadership to clarify the interpretation of state and federal regulations to ensure compliance.
- State CMS surveyor for acute care hospitals, acute psychiatric hospitals, and long-term care facilities. Lead surveyor for CMS validation surveys, compliant surveys, and EMTALA surveys.
- Regulatory and Accreditation Consultant for a network of five hospitals and over 100 outpatient treatment centers.
- Pediatric Patient population included child and adolescent psychiatric patients with emergency medical conditions pending admission to psychiatric hospitals.
- Provided care to adolescent patients undergoing inpatient detox for drug or alcohol addiction.
Professional Affiliations or Certifications
- Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ)
- National Association for Healthcare Quality
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Mennonite College of Nursing, Normal, IL, USA