- Over 32 years of progressive leadership experience as a Board Certified Family Physician
- Former Joint Commission Surveyor
Dr. Laurel McCourt is currently an honorary member of the Medina General Hospital Medical Staff in Medina, Ohio following her tenure as an active staff member from 1991-2010. During that time, Dr. McCourt served as physician quality liaison at Medina General Hospital, she was instrumental in the development of the OPPE process.
Her initial career in medicine began in a staff model HMO where she held the position of staff physician until 1991 with active staff privileges at Fairview General Hospital in Fairview, Ohio and Lakewood Hospital in Lakewood, Ohio. From 1991-2008, she served as the Medical Director of Brunswick Medical Care Center, a satellite facility of Medina General Hospital.
In 2004, Dr. McCourt began her career with The Joint Commission as a hospital surveyor. For the first five years, she continued to practice medicine as well. Since that time, she was further trained in the Comprehensive Manual for Office Based Surgery and in the Primary Medical Home Accreditation Process. In addition, Dr. McCourt has served in the Special Survey Unit to investigate complaints for The Joint Commission. She has served as a team leader for both deemed and non-deemed hospital systems and has surveyed, and now consulted, at a broad range of organizations from rural community hospitals to large academic medical centers.
In her career at The Joint Commission, Dr. McCourt has been active in the speaker’s bureau. She has given numerous presentations to a variety of audiences including several national meetings. Her presentations include the hospital and ambulatory accreditation standards and the survey process.
In September of 2014, Dr. McCourt transitioned to Joint Commission Resources to begin a career as a consultant and ceased being a surveyor. In her new role, she continues to educate health care organizations on the Joint Commission standards implementation and compliance.
- Physician Quality Liaison, Medina General Hospital, Cleveland, OH, USA
- Medical Director, Brunswick Medical Care Center, Brunswick, OH, USA
Professional Affiliations or Certifications
- Board Certified; American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM)
- Certified Joint Commission Professional (CJCP®)
- Doctor of Medicine, Kent State University/Northeastern Ohio Medical University, Rootstown, OH, USA
- Family Medicine Residency, Aultman Hospital, Canton, OH, USA