Lorrie W. Shumaker
- Over 14 years of health care experience, including leadership experience in hospitals, ambulatory care centers, and community health
- Extensive experience in regulatory survey and certification with CMS
- Former Hospital Infection Control Officer/Team Leader and Compliance Officer responsible for providing multidisciplinary teams, input regarding treatment plans, developing processes related to infection control issues and concerns, maintaining related data for quality and trends, and prepare and submit reports to National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN)
- Extensive experience in community health with the Virginia Department of Health as an Epidemiologist and Public Health Nurse, Sr. managing communicable disease threats in populations to understand the causes and patterns of health and illness through surveillance, investigations, education and prevention
Ms. Lorrie Shumaker has been a registered nurse for 14 years, with a diverse health care background including clinical and administrative settings. She has previous experience in compliance, infection prevention, quality and performance improvement, epidemiology, community health, critical care services, skilled nursing, and adjunct faculty nursing position.
Prior to joining Joint Commission Resources, Ms. Shumaker was a Medical Facilities Inspector for the Virginia Department of Health (VDH). Ms. Shumaker conducted multiple licensure, certification, EMTALA, and complaint surveys of health care facilities, (e.g., hospitals, ambulatory care centers, and community health.) assessing for compliance and Medicare regulations and rules for state licensure for the state of Virginia. Ms. Shumaker represented VDH as a stakeholder at the Virginia Healthcare-Associated Infections (HAI) Advisory Group.
Ms. Shumaker served as an Infection Control Officer/Team Leader for a large hospital system. She served on several multidisciplinary councils and committees, including Infection Control, Quality and Patient Safety, Environment of Care, Policy Approval Committee, and Patient and Family Advisory Committee. She was responsible for ensuring compliance in all areas of infection control concerns and issues in surgical/procedural infection control processes including sterilization and high level disinfection, and implementing infection control processes for any construction project from beginning to completion.
Ms. Shumaker’s experience included being a mentor and preceptor for nursing students as an adjunct nursing faculty. She has been responsible for managing district wide emergency preparedness including coordinating a district wide emergency preparedness plan certified by National Association of County & City Health Officials (NACCHO). Her additional responsibilities included conducting surveillance and investigations on daily case reports, outbreaks, and acts of terrorism including education and prevention methods for communicable disease threats in a district wide population.
Ms. Shumaker brings demonstrated experience as a team leader providing technical and administrative guidance. Ms. Shumaker worked effectively with a culturally and educationally diverse population in a hospital intense care setting and community public health environment.
- Medical Facilities Inspector, Virginia Department of Health
- Infection Control Officer
- Compliance, Quality and Risk Management
- Epidemiology/Community Health
- Adjunct Nursing Education Faculty
- Staff Nurse, ICU, St. Mary’s Hospital, Richmond, VA USA
Professional Affiliations or Certifications
- Virginia Infection Prevention Network
- APIC Virginia
- Virginia Healthcare-Associated Infections (HAI) Advisory Group
- American Nurses Association
- Virginia Nurses Association
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, USA
- Associate Degree in Nursing, Piedmont Virginia Community College, Charlottesville, VA, USA