- Over 36 years of experience working for The Joint Commission and Joint Commission Resources
- Specialized consulting experience in acute care hospitals, psychiatric hospitals, behavioral health organizations, addiction and opioid treatment programs
- Former Joint Commission Surveyor
Mr. Richard Scalenghe has worked for The Joint Commission and Joint Commission Resources (JCR) since 1984. In 1996, Mr. Scalenghe began his work with the Continuous Service Readiness® (CSR®) Program. Mr. Scalenghe has special expertise in behavioral health care and performance improvement. Mr. Scalenghe initiated and maintained Performance Improvement initiatives across the country. His ability to integrate organization development theory and practice into his consultation style makes him an excellent resource.
Mr. Scalenghe currently consults with acute care hospitals, behavioral health organizations, addiction and opioid treatment programs, psychiatric hospitals and nursing care centers. In collaboration with senior leaders and front-line staff, Mr. Scalenghe uses a variety of methods to assess quality of care and patient safety issues, including tracer methodology, observation of care delivery, interviews with care providers and leaders, review of key documents, and facility tours. Mr. Scalenghe assists organizations achieve and maintain readiness for a Joint Commission survey and develop a full understanding of Joint Commission standards and their applicability in each unique clinical environment.
Mr. Scalenghe has consulted with various Nursing Care Centers across the country. He also had provided consultation to numerous ambulatory programs as part of the US Department of Health and Human Service’s Bureau of Primary Healthcare initiative. Mr. Scalenghe held former positions with The Joint Commission in the Department of Education, Associate Director for the Department of Standards, and Surveyor with the Hospital and Behavioral Health Care programs.
Prior to his affiliation with The Joint Commission and Joint Commission Resources, he developed, executed and evaluated individual and group therapies to improve patient functioning on medical, rehabilitation, behavioral health, and hospice units at Rush Medical Center in Chicago, Illinois. At Rush, Mr. Scalenghe assisted in the design and administration of a geriatric psychiatric unit. Mr. Scalenghe designed new clinical programs and was a vital asset in the development and training of nursing students and medical residents.
- Acute Care Hospital including medical, behavioral health and rehabilitation services
- Residential Treatment Program
- Addiction Program
Professional Affiliations or Certifications
- RPI® Certified Yellow Belt, The Joint Commission
- Certified Change Agent
- Certified Joint Commission Professional (CJCP®)
- Certified Professional in Health Care Quality (CPHQ)
- National Association Healthcare Quality
- Coursework associated with a Master of Science in Psychopathology, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA