- Former State CMS Surveyor and Health Facility Compliance Manager for the Texas Health and Human Services System
Mr. John Berry is a registered nurse with comprehensive clinical and regulatory experience in non-long term health care settings. His clinical background includes med/surg and telemetry care, adult psychiatric care, clinical education, and critical care (including the care of patients with continuous dialysis (CVVHD), ventricular assist devices and intra-aortic balloon pumps).
Mr. Berry surveyed and managed survey and certification processes for hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, and dialysis centers. His duties included functioning as a team leader on surveys, providing guidance to survey staff, approving surveyor recommendations to CMS concerning certification status, and providing support and education to health facility administration regarding CMS regulations. Mr. Berry also managed complaint intake and triage for all non-long term health care facilities in Texas. While working for HHS, Mr. Berry’s expertise assisted in the development and revision of state licensing rules and regulations for health care facilities. His expertise was also applied to the interpretation of active licensure regulations and development of position statements for regulations.
Mr. Berry participated in CMS pilot survey programs; including the ESRD Core survey process and the PSI worksheets for assessing compliance with the hospital Conditions of Participation: Quality Assessment and Performance Improvement (QAPI), Infection Control, and Discharge Planning.
- CMS Surveyor and Health Facility Compliance Manager for the Texas Health and Human Services System
- Lead surveyor during full surveys of deemed and non-deemed facilities, including accrediting organization validation surveys, and complaint surveys (including immediate jeopardy and non-immediate jeopardy investigations, and EMTALA investigations). Mr. Berry surveyed hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, and dialysis centers for compliance with CMS regulations.
Professional Affiliations or Certifications
- American Nurses Association
- Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology
- National Association for Healthcare Quality
- Council on Licensure, Enforcement, and Regulation (CLEAR) specialized certification
- Masters of Science in Nursing, Administration, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas, USA
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, TX, USA
- Associates Degree in Nursing, Odessa Community College, Odessa, TX, USA