- Former State CMS Surveyor and Health Facility Compliance Manager for the Texas Health and Human Services System
John Berry is the Specialist Principal Consultant for CMS Consulting at Joint Commission Resources. Mr. Berry has been a CMS Consultant with Joint Commission Resources for over six years where he provides consultation, education and technical assistance in the provision of CMS content areas, including federal surveys, federal laws, regulations, guidelines, the State Operations Manuals and appendices, surveillance protocols and standards governing the operation for health care facilities.
Prior to joining Joint Commission Resources, Mr. Berry was the Health Facility Compliance Manager for the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS). During his time with DSHS, Mr. Berry oversaw CMS survey and certification and State licensure of hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, dialysis centers, and EMTALA surveys. His duties included functioning as a team leader on surveys, providing guidance to survey staff, approving surveyor recommendations to CMS concerning certification status, and providing support and education to health facility administration regarding CMS regulations. Mr. Berry also managed complaint intake and triage for all non-long term health care facilities in Texas.
While working for DSHS, Mr. Berry’s expertise assisted in the development and revision of state licensing rules and regulations for health care facilities. His expertise was also applied to the interpretation of active licensure regulations and development of position statements for regulations.
Mr. Berry participated in CMS pilot survey programs; including the ESRD Core survey process and the PSI worksheets for assessing compliance with the hospital Conditions of Participation: Quality Assessment and Performance Improvement (QAPI), Infection Control, and Discharge Planning.
- CMS Specialist Principal Consultant for Joint Commission Resources
- CMS Surveyor and Health Facility Compliance Manager for the Texas Health and Human Services System
- Lead surveyor during full surveys of deemed and non-deemed facilities, including accrediting organization validation surveys, and complaint surveys (including immediate jeopardy and non-immediate jeopardy investigations, and EMTALA investigations). Mr. Berry surveyed hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, and dialysis centers for compliance with CMS regulations.
Professional Affiliations or Certifications
- American Nurses Association
- National Association for Healthcare Quality
- Council on Licensure, Enforcement, and Regulation (CLEAR) specialized certification
- Master of Science in Nursing, Administration, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, TX, USA
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, TX, USA
- Associate degree in Nursing, Odessa Community College, Odessa, TX, USA