- Twenty years of healthcare experience.
- Over fourteen years of experience with healthcare regulations including CMS Standards and Conditions of Participation, with over seven years of CMS and regulatory consulting experience with Joint Commission Resources.
- Former State CMS Surveyor and Health Facility Compliance Manager for the Texas Health and Human Services System.
- Regulatory and compliance experience includes hospitals (acute, long-term, pediatric, and behavioral health), ambulatory surgery centers, ESRD facilities, and solid organ transplant programs.
Mr. John Berry has been a CMS Consultant with Joint Commission Resources for over seven years. He provides consultation, education, and technical assistance related to CMS requirements, including federal surveys, laws, regulations, guidelines, and standards for health care facilities. Mr. Berry serves as CMS faculty and the CMS subject matter expert in the development and presentation of CMS related education. Additionally, Mr. Berry is a contributor to The Joint Commission publication, Joint Commission and CMS Crosswalk, Comparing Hospital Standards and CoPs.
Prior to Joint Commission Resources, Mr. Berry was the Health Facility Compliance Manager for Texas Health and Human Services (HHS). During his time with HHS, Mr. Berry oversaw CMS survey and certification and state licensure for hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, dialysis centers, and EMTALA surveys. Mr. Berry also managed complaint intake and triage for all non-long term health care facilities in Texas.
While working for HHS, Mr. Berry’s expertise assisted in the review and development of state licensing rules and regulations for health care facilities. His expertise was also applied to the interpretation of active licensure regulations and development of position statements for regulations.
- Health Facility Compliance Manager, Texas Health and Human Services, Austin, TX USA
- CMS State Surveyor, Texas Health and Human Services, Austin, TX USA
- Nursing Clinical Teaching Assistant, Austin Community College, Austin, TX USA
- Variety of leadership and staff roles in critical care, med-surg, and behavioral health settings
Professional Affiliations or Certifications
- Council on Licensure, Enforcement, and Regulation (CLEAR) Specialized Certification
- Digital Health Certificate, Harvard Online
- National Association for Healthcare Quality
- Patriot Employer Award, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve
- RPI® Certified Yellow Belt, The Joint Commission
- Postgraduate Certificate, Safety, Quality, Informatics, and Leadership, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA – Enrolled
- Master of Science in Nursing, Administration, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, TX, USA
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Summa Cum Laude, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, TX, USA
- Associate Degree in Nursing, Odessa Community College, Odessa, TX, USA